Today you are going to learn a simple and so delicious Puerto Rican Instant Pot Pollo Guisado or Puerto Rican Chicken stew, my friends, that your family is going to love!
Before we begin to talk about this recipe, know that you don’t need to have an Instant Pot to make this Pollo Guisado, you can use any other instant pressure cooker you have.
Now back to the Instant Pot Pollo Guisado recipe you are going to love.
My favorite thing about this Puerto Rican Pollo Guisado is that it is full of flavor, and it doesn’t take long to make.
Another thing is that my entire family loves it!
You can use chicken legs, wings, or thighs, for this recipe; we used thighs because it was what I had.
For this recipe, you are going to need sofrito and a packet of Sazon. If you don’t have them, they are available at your local grocery store.
What are the ingredients to make Pollo Guisado
To make Pollo Guisado using your Instant Pot, you are going to need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- chicken bouillon packet
- Garlic glove
- Bay leave
- Salt & Pepper
- Chili powder (optional)
How to Make Instant Pot Pollo Guisado/ Puerto Rican Chicken Stew
Now that you have your ingredients, it is time to make this Puerto Rican chicken stew.
One thing I do with my chicken is to remove the skin and trim the fat. If you want to leave it, that is all up to you.
Press the Sauté button and add the olive oil, sofrito, tomato sauce, sazon, diced tomatoes, garlic, chicken bouillon packet and stir for about five minutes until everything is well blended.
Salt and Pepper to taste!
It is going to start smelling so good!
Once everything is blended add the chickens, water, bay leaves, potatoes and chili powder (optional)
On your Instant Pot cover, turn the knob to Seal the instant pressure cooker.
Next, you want to cancel the Sauté mode on your Instant Pot or other electric pressure cookers.
Click the Poultry button or press the Pressure Cook button on your Instant Pot and set for 20 to 25 minutes. It all depends on how tender you want your meat.
Once the machine is done cooking, allow it to Natural Release.
Your Instant Pot Pollo Guisado / Puerto Rican Chicken Stew is ready to serve! You can serve this with Instant Pot Arroz con Gandules.
Puerto Rican Chicken Stew Recipe
Ready to make this Puerto Rican Pollo Guisado? Here's the recipe card with the exact measurements.
- 3 lbs of chicken thighs, legs, or wings (we used thighs)
- 2 Tablespoons of Sofrito. (We recommend this homemade recipe, or you can purchase it at your local grocer)
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz.
- 1 can of Tomato sauce. 8 oz.
- 1 packet of Sazon
- 1 packet of chicken bouillon packet
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 4 cups of water
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 Bay leave
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Chili powder (optional)
- Press the Sauté button and add the olive oil, sofrito, tomato sauce, sazon, diced tomatoes, garlic, chicken bouillon packet and stir for about five minutes until everything is well blended.
- Salt and Pepper to taste!
- Once everything is blended, add the chickens, water, bay leaves, potatoes, and chili powder (optional).
- Seal the instant pressure cooker.
- Turn off Sauté.
- Click the Poultry button and set it for 25 minutes. You can also use the Pressure Cook button and set the time for 25 minutes.
- Natural release for about 10 to 15 minutes.
You can serve this Pollo Guisado with white rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g
More Instant Pot Recipes