Do you love steak? What about cube steak? Many people shy away from cube steak because they don’t know what to do with it. This Puerto Rican recipe for Bistec Encebollado is the perfect Instant Pot cube steak recipe. It’s tender, flavorful, and quick to prepare.
What is Bistec Encebollado?
Bistec Encebollado is steak and onions cooked in a flavorful sauce. The Instant Pot will leave the meat nice and tender, but cooks quickly.
What is Bistec meat in English?
Bistec means steak, “beef steak.”
Recipes you might like:
- Instant Pot Pollo Guisado Recipe or Puerto Rican Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Arroz Con Habichuelas / Puerto Rican Rice and Beans
Do onions tenderize meat?
Yes! It turns out that onions contain a special enzyme called proteolytic enzymes. These enzymes work to tenderize the meat. Just allowing your steak to sit in a bowl covered with sliced onions can make the meat more tender.
What are the ingredients to make Bistec Encebollado?
To make this steak in Instant Pot recipe you are going to need the following ingredients:
- Cube steak
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock
How to make Bistec Encebollado
Now that you have gathered your ingredients it is time to make Bistec Encebollado. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
The first step is to mix the first six ingredients with half of the olive oil.
Next, if needed, cut your cube steak into smaller pieces so that they fit in your Instant Pot.
Place the cube steak and oil mixture into a zip top bag and refrigerate for at least one hour or, preferably, overnight.
Once the meat has marinated, set your Instant Pot to Saute and brown the steak on each side and remove from the Instant Pot.
You then want to add the onions and cook until translucent.
Add the steak back into the pot along with the leftover marinade and chicken stock. Stir and turn off the Saute feature. Place on the lid and turn the knob to sealing. Set to high pressure for 20 minutes. Once done, allow the cooker to do a natural release.
Serve with white rice, tostones or amarillos.
Your Bistec Encebollado is ready to serve!
Bistec Encebollado Recipe
Now that you know everything you need to know about how to make Bistec Encebollado it is time to print the recipe.
To print the recipe, click the print button below. Want to save this recipe for later? All you have to do is use the share button to Pin it for later, Mix it or add it to your Yummly account.
- 2 lbs of cube steak
- 1 Tablespoon of crushed garlic
- ¼ cup of vinegar (we used red wine vinegar)
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 2 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup of chicken stock
- In a blow add the crushed garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, half the olive oil, and mix.
- If the cube steaks are too big to fit inside the Instant Pot cut them into smaller pieces.
- Use a freezer bag or container and place the cube steaks in
the bag, then add the marinade and seal.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, we recommend overnight.
- To make the bistec encebollado in the instant pot, press the Saute button.
- Add steak and brown on each side and remove from the Instant Pot and place aside.
- Next, add the onions and sauté until they are translucent.
- Add the steak back into the Instant Pot.
- Once the steaks are back in the Instant Pot, add the leftover marinade and the stock and stir.
- Stop the Saute mode on your Instant Pot, place on the lid and set to sealing, and press the Pressure Cook button, high for 20 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot is done, allow it to Natural release.
- Serve with white rice, tostones, or amarillos.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 892mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 42g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.