You will learn all you need to know about making Instant Pot Vanilla Yogurt and all you need to know about it. From the good, the bad, and the ugly truth about making yogurt using your Instant Pot.
Let’s make this quick since I know you want to start making this Instant Pot yogurt recipe.
So, there are many ways to make yogurt using your Instant Pot and other electric pressure cookers. But, before continuing, you need to know that I use Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt.
What are the ingredients to make yogurt?
The ingredients to make vanilla yogurt using an Instant Pot are super simple, and all you need:
- Milk (whole, 2% milk, 1% milk)
- Yogurt with cultures
- Vanilla extract
How to make Instant Pot Vanilla Yogurt
Now that you have all the ingredients, follow the steps below:
Step 1 – Boil the Milk
Pour the milk into the inner liner of your Instant Pot.
Close the Instant Pot and lock the lid set the valve to “sealing.”
Press the Yogurt function on the Instant Pot and PRESS the Yogurt button again. The Instant Pot display will display “boil.”
When boiling is complete, your Instant Pot will read “Yogt.”
Step 2 – Cooling the Milk
Open your Instant Pot and check the milk temperature using a food thermometer. The temperature should be 180 – 185 Fahrenheit or higher (About 82C).
If your milk is not at 180F, press the Sauté button to heat the milk to 180F.
Cool the milk by removing the inner pot and allowing the milk to cool to 110F.
Tips for cooling milk to 110F
- Set the inner pot with milk on the counter and allow it to cool naturally. This will take up to a few hours. Make sure you stir the milk occasionally.
- Set the inner pot in the sink filled with cold water. Stir the milk occasionally to help it cool.
- Place the inner pot inside your refrigerator. Don’t forget to stir the milk to help it cool faster.
Remember to use a thermometer to check the temperature.
Step 3 – Add the Cultures
Once the milk has cooled to 110F, scoop about ¼ cup of milk using a small bowl or measuring cup, add the yogurt and mix well using a whisk.
Transfer the milk/yogurt mixture into the inner pot, add the vanilla and mix well.
Once you have mixed the ingredient, grab your inner pot and place it back into your IP base.
Step 4 – Start Making The Yogurt
Close your Instant Pot and turn the valve to “sealing.”
Press the Yogurt button on your Instant Pot and set the timer to 9 hours. Once you set the timer, it will start at 0, just like the pic above.
Once the Instant Pot finishes, it will display “Yogt.”
Open the Instant Pot and mix the yogurt. Your yogurt will have what is called whey. Mix the yogurt, and it should be ready to be stored.
If you want a thicker yogurt, this is what you need to do:
First, strain the yogurt using a cheesecloth or coffee filter.
- Fast and Easy Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree Recipe
- Coquito Recipe With No Eggs
- Delicious Lemon Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
Vanilla Yogurt is Ready
Your Instant Pot Vanilla Yogurt is ready to serve cold.
What to add to your Instant Pot Yogurt?
You can eat your yogurt with:
- Maple syrup
How long can the Instant Pot Vanilla Yogurt stay in the refrigerator?
If stored correctly, you can keep the yogurt in your refrigerator for about a week.
More information about making yogurt using an Instant Pot
Do not use flavored yogurt, as this will not work with this recipe.
If planning on making future yogurt, you can freeze ¼ cup of yogurt for later.
My yogurt didn’t come out right.
If you tried making yogurt using and it didn’t come out right, here are some reasons why:
- You didn’t follow the steps correctly or skipped one. Therefore, it is essential to make sure you follow the steps and always temp your milk.
- You might have used a flavored yogurt.
- The yogurt might be too runny, and you expected a creamier yogurt? Strain it.
- Your Instant Pot might not have worked. Hey, this happens. Sometimes our IP needs maintenance, such as changing a few basic parts like seals and stuff.
- ½ gallon of milk (whole, 2%, 1% or skim)
- 2 Tablespoons of plain yogurt with cultures
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Pour the milk into the inner liner of your Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot and lock the lid set the valve to “sealing.”
- Press the Yogurt function on the Instant Pot and PRESS the Yogurt button again. The Instant Pot display will display “boil.”
- When boiling is complete, your Instant Pot will read “Yogt.”
- Open the Instant Pot and check milk temperature; it should be at 180 – 185 Fahrenheit.
- Cool the milk by removing the inner pot and allowing the milk to cool to 110F.
- Scoop about ¼ cups of milk using a small bowl or measuring cup, add the yogurt, and mix well.
- Transfer the milk/yogurt mixture back into the IP and add the vanilla and again mix well.
- Place the inner pot back into your IP base.
- Close your Instant Pot and turn the valve to “sealing.”
- Press the Yogurt button on your Instant Pot and set the timer to 9 hours.
- Once the Instant Pot finishes, it will display “Yogt.”
- Open the Instant Pot and mix the yogurt. Your yogurt will have what is called whey. Mix the yogurt, and it should be ready to be stored.
- Serve cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.