Do you love sweet cakes and delectable pastries? Then the Puerto Rican Mallorca bread, a traditional dessert in the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico, is just what you need! We have loved this famous recipe for centuries, and it’s made with popular basic pantry ingredients.
What is a Mallorca in Puerto Rico?
Mallorca bread is a traditional Puerto Rican sweet roll. It is a plump, fluffy, buttery roll dusted with powdered sugar. It is typically served alongside coffee or as a sweet snack. The perfect compliment to a cup of Puerto Rican coffee, Mallorca bread is a delicious treat for breakfast or any time of day.
This sweet bread is made with eggs, flour, and yeast, giving it a light texture and gentle sweetness. It is easy to recognize by its coiled shape and the powdered sugar dusting on top.
What is Mallorca made of?
Mallorca bread is made with a few basic ingredients, including yeast, water, milk, and butter. The dough is made with flour, giving it a light and airy texture. It is then shaped into coils and dusted with powdered sugar before baking. The result is a sweet, fluffy bun with a delicious buttery flavor.
How do you pronounce Mallorca bread?
Pronouncing Mallorca bread is as simple as it sounds. The correct way to pronounce Mallorca bread is “ma-yor-kah.” It is important to remember to put the emphasis on the second syllable and not the first.
If you want to practice your pronunciation of Mallorca bread, try saying it aloud a few times. This way, you will become more comfortable with the pronunciation, and you won’t have to worry about mispronouncing it the next time you order it!
The ingredients for this Mallorca bread that you will enjoy are listed below. Scroll down to access our printable recipe card that includes step-by-step directions and measurements.
- Active dry yeast
- Warm water
- Warm milk
- Melted butter: Add more for brushing the bread.
- Egg yolks
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar: For dusting the bread.
How to cook Mallorca bread from scratch?
- Add the ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, add the warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let this mixture stand for about 5 minutes or until it is foamy. If the mixture does NOT foam, discard it and start again. After that, add the milk, melted butter, sugar, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla extract. Stir it well with a spatula or a wooden spoon until fully combined.
- Let the dough rise: Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until fully incorporated. Gather the dough in the center of the bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 1 1/2 – 3 hours in a warm place.
- Roll the dough: Uncover it, pinch it to deflate, and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Roll it to an 18×14-inch rectangle. Next, brush it with melted butter all over, just a thin layer, do not make it greasy.
- Let the dough rise again: Cut the dough into 8 or 10 one-inch strips. Roll them into spirals and arrange them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 350 F, then bake the Mallorca bread for 12-18 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Serve: Finally, sprinkle with powdered sugar on top and serve.
How to serve:
Mallorca bread works excellently as a breakfast item or evening snack. It goes well with various spreads like cheese and jam and hot dishes such as scrambled eggs or omelets.
Hot chocolate or café con leche is an especially popular beverage pairing for Mallorca bread – the richness of the coffee and chocolate work perfectly to contrast the sweetness of Mallorca bread.
How to store leftovers:
Storing leftover Mallorca bread is actually quite easy. The best way to do it is to let the bread cool before putting it in an airtight container and refrigerating it. This will ensure that moisture stays trapped inside and keep your Mallorca bread from going stale too quickly.
If you’re not planning on consuming it within a day or two, then you can freeze your Mallorca bread for up to a month to enjoy its deliciousness at any time! Just ensure it’s wrapped properly before freezing, as this protects its delicate texture and prevents freezer burn.
- It is important to keep in mind that this type of bread needs to rise slowly over several hours. To accomplish this, mix the dough up the night before and place it covered in the refrigerator overnight, allowing plenty of time for the flavors and textures to develop while keeping surface yeast activity under control.
- When ready to bake, the dough should not overpower your oven; rather, appropriately preheat your conventional oven at a medium intensity to properly form that chewy outside crust and fluffy center.
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for brushing the bread
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, for dusting the bread
- In a large mixing bowl, add the warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let this mixture stand for about 5 minutes, or until it is foamy. If the mixture does NOT foam, discard it and start again.
- Add the milk, melted butter, sugar, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla extract. Stir well with a spatula or a wooden spoon until fully combined.
- Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until fully incorporated. Gather the dough in the center of the bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 1 1/2 - 3 hours in a warm place.
- Uncover the dough, pinch it to deflate, and transfer it to a lightly floured surface.
Roll it to an 18x14-inch rectangle. Brush it with melted butter all over, just a thin layer, do not make it greasy.
- Cut the dough into 8 or 10 one-inch strips. Roll them into spirals and arrange them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake the Mallorca bread for 12-18 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar on top and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 9g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.