Bola de Fuego (ham and pineapple) dip is a simple yet amazing Puerto Rican dip appetizer that will surely wow your guests. It is easy to make and can be adapted to fit any party or occasion. Also known as Puerto Rican Cheese and Ham Dip, Cerebrito, and Bola de Juan, this traditional dip combines cream cheese, pineapple preserves, and ham.
The ingredients are simple, but the flavors are complex and delicious. This dip is perfect for a party, game night, or just an evening snack. Serve it with chips or crackers, and everyone will love it!
The ingredients for this dip that you will enjoy are listed below. Scroll down to access our printable recipe card with step-by-step directions and measurements.
- Canned Ham
- Cream Cheese: Room temperature
- Pineapple Preserves
How to cook Bola de Fuego Dip from scratch?
- Mix the ingredients: Place the cream cheese in a large bowl. Add the ham and break it up using a fork. Then add ½ cup of the pineapple preserves. Mix them together with the fork until the ham, cheese, and pineapple preserves are fully combined.
- Place in the fridge: After that, line a large cereal bowl with cling wrap. Add 1-2 tbsp of pineapple preserves to the cling wrap and gently coat the cling wrap in the preserves. Also, add the ham mixture to the cling wrap and press it into the bowl neatly. Then place it in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Serve: Finally, remove the bowl from the fridge, place a large plate on top, then turn the bowl over. Remove the bowl, leaving the ham dip and cling wrap on the plate. Remove the cling wrap, then add more pineapple preserves as desired. You can serve it with crackers or chips.
How to serve:
To accompany this dip that packs a punch, serve your favorite tortilla chips and flavorful vegetables like carrots, peppers, and cucumbers.
To add an extra step of creativity to the presentation, cut out circular shapes from bell peppers and slice halved cucumbers into fun shapes for people to snack on.
Not only does this level up the presentation, but it adds another layer of flavor and texture to go alongside Bola de Fuego Dip!
What is Bola de Fuego Dip?
Bola de Fuego Dip is a popular Puerto Rican dip dish. What really sets the Bola de Fuego Dip apart from other Mexican dishes are the three kinds of cheese it's known for. These cheeses usually include queso fresco, chihuahua cheese, and cotija cheese.
All these ingredients create a familiar yet unique texture and flavor when combined to make Bola de Fuego Dip.
Can you use ham or spam for this dip?
Surprisingly enough, both ham and spam can be used to create this delightful dip. The pork products add a hint of sweetness, balancing out the earthiness of other herbs and spices like cayenne and oregano.
However, these two types of meat don't have to be the only stars in your Bola de Fuego Dip; you can also add some crunch with various crackers or tortilla chips on the side.
Experiment with other ingredients to discover the ultimate flavor combination that is sure to knock your socks off.
How to store leftovers:
Storing leftover Bola de Fuego Dip is easy, and it is important to make sure you store it correctly so you can enjoy it for several days.
Start by transferring any leftover dip into an airtight plastic container or jar. Leave about one inch of space from the top, so the lid doesn't press against the dip and create a mess if the container expands due to environmental changes.
Place a piece of plastic wrap on top before securing the lid tightly, ensuring no air can enter. Transfer your leftover dip into the refrigerator, making sure that it is not directly near any raw food products; otherwise, bacteria can spread easily onto both dishes.
Your Bola de Fuego Dip should be good for up to 3-4 days or longer if stored properly! So don't let your hard work go to waste, and store your leftovers right!
- 12oz Canned Ham
- 8oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Pineapple Preserves
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Add ham and, with a fork, break up the ham.
- Add ½ cup of the pineapple preserves.
- Mix together with the fork until the ham, cheese and pineapple preserves are fully combined.
- Line a large cereal bowl with cling wrap.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of pineapple preserves to the cling wrap and gently coat the cling wrap in the preserves.
- Add the ham mixture to the cling wrap and press into the bowl neatly.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge, place a large plate on top, then turn the bowl over.
- Remove the bowl, leaving the ham dip and cling wrap on the plate.
- Remove the cling wrap then add more pineapple preserves as desired.
- Serve with crackers or chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 674mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.