Who doesn’t love fried food? It’s always a nice treat. If you love coconut, then you’re definitely going to love arepas de coco.
What is Arepas de coco?
Arepas de coco is a Puerto Rican coconut fry bread. The texture is crisp on the outside but light and fluffy on the inside.
What are arepas in English?
In English the word means a corn pancake, sweetened or unsweetened. This is the version that is made in Venezuela and Columbia. However, Puerto Rican arepas as flour-based.
What does an arepa taste like?
Arepas are a fried dough that is crisp on the outside and light and fluffy in the center. This version also has the added addition of the coconut flavor.
What are the ingredients to make arepas de coco?
To make these arepas de coco recipe, you are going to need the following ingredients:
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Full fat coconut milk
You might like these recipes:
- Arepas Recipe
- Simple Besitos de Coco / Coconut Macaroons
- Hazelnut Coconut Macaroon Cupcakes
- Pan de Coco Recipe
How to make arepas de coco
Now that you have gathered your ingredients make arepas de coco. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Whisk together the baking powder, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Switch to a wooden spatula and add in the coconut milk. Stir until well incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, transfer it back to the floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. You want the dough to be thin. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out small pieces.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Transfer the dough to the pan and fry until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack or plate lined with paper towels and enjoy.
Your arepas de coco are ready to serve!
Arepas de Coco Recipe
Now that you know everything you need to know about how to make arepas de coco it is time to print the recipe.
To print the recipe, click the print button below. Want to save this recipe for later? All you have to do is use the share button to Pin it for later, Mix it or add it to your Yummly account.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- Oil for frying
In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the coconut milk and with the help of a wooden spatula, stir until incorporated.
Transfer to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is elastic. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Once the dough has rested transfer to a floured surface.
With the help of a rolling pin, roll out the dough until thin. Cut out small
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Transfer the dough circles to the pan and fry until golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.